Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 52

Thread: And then my head exploded

  1. #31
    Inactive Member DvDirectorDan's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 30th, 2001
    Posts
    1
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I've been trolling the boards for a while but felt the need to post on this. I realize I'm new so I won't make any personal statements, just my own viewpoints.

    First off, the comment: "If mortus illumina is the best you can do, then im certain to go far. "

    Wow, people have some ego in this room I guess? I congratulate you Miker and Chance. I went to the site, watched the trailer and thoroughly enjoyed it. I would definately like to check it out when it reaches completion.

    Secondly, as far as film school goes. From my point of view (ex film school dropout) it is definately a personal choice. I studied for a little over a year and opted to change my major out of it because I didn't like the constricting nature of it. The technical help and instruction I picked up was invaluable sure, but nothing more than I could have learned on my own over a summer. I just couldn't see the point of spending all that cash. For some, the structured and strict lifestyle of film school is great. I just found, like Skinhead, that I had twenty things to do in a week. But after some close investigation, 19 of them usually happened to be pieces of crap that weren't worth my time. So I opted to change my major.

    But then again, that was just a personal decision...which is what Film school truly is.

    ------------------

  2. #32
    Inactive Member eggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 5th, 2001
    Posts
    32
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    The way I see it (from a senior in high school, mind you), the only reason I'm going to film school is to make a good short, write a good feature length screenplay, use the teachers working in the industry to get you jobs, and to meet with other students and make connections. The renting of film equipment and the lessons learned are just bonuses!

    ------------------
    I am a filmmaker! Behold my awesome power of being in debt!

  3. #33
    Senior Hostboard Member miker's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 16th, 1999
    Posts
    2,621
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I think my point about self-important assholes has been vindicated, but to be balanced:

    Good things about film school:

    years of playing on REAL film

    lots of like-minded individuals

    live, eat, breath film

    good guidance from good tutors

    Skin, if you have been a runner and weren't able to become a film insider, what makes you think several shitty student shorts will make your break any easier? Oh, you name-drop NFTS ... ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

    boy are you gonna feel naked when you leave that institution, UNLESS you form bonds with other motivated filmmakers etc.

    I realise only too well that I am not in a good position to cross over into fulltime filmmaking, but then have you ever heard the phrase that many an overnight success has been built on ten years hard work??!!

    as for Mortus Illumina, if we're honest it's a low grade independant B-movie right? It's never gonna get a cinematic release. But if we're lucky it will get a cult following on DVD, possibly only after Chance's first cinema release.

    And does filmschool prepare you for freelancing? IT contracting does.

    Does filmschool teach you the importance of being organised? Project managing the rollout of a security administration server on the largest private network in the world sure does.

    You think IT skills aren't transferrable into the film world? Think again, asshole.

    I never judge. Only retort. It's more fun

    ;-D


    ------------------
    N305UDB M173UBM
    (B55VOR)
    (WGO963W)

  4. #34
    Inactive Member Generic Skinhead's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 12th, 2001
    Posts
    1,009
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    ICK!

    I am not a runner because thats not my interest. I d like an education y'know. Get to learn stuff about art in general yeah?

    I will not feel "naked" when I leave. I got lots of contacts in Dublin already. I will have a good portfolio and load of films under my belt. "Shitty student films"? I'd encourage you to watch one first. The only Irish enry at Cannes? You guessed it-my school. Best Euro film course voted by Cannes? You guessed it-my school.

    I am not self important. Obviously I beleive in myself, otherwise whats the point?
    I have an appreciation for the real world. Ive worked bits and pieces and will get more chances while I study. Film school has thought me ever so much about organisation already.

    Im not knocking your job in IT. Computer skills are invaluable. But dont think your in a better position than me to make it big. You might not be.

    Lets see. Maybe I wont cut it, I dont know. Good luck with your cult following for Mortus. Lets see who gets to the top first buddy.

    ------------------
    Watch your back Mr Jordan!

    [This message has been edited by Generic Skinhead (edited December 01, 2001).]

  5. #35
    Inactive Member Thousanth's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 27th, 2001
    Posts
    405
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Can I add that last line to my "famous last words" scrapbook, Mr. Skin?

    ------------------
    My hit list, third draft.
    1. Despin Entertainment 2. Kathy S. 3. Skin 4. Chance1234 5. Littlerich 6. miker 7. foolmaster 8. Mods 9. eddie 10. GrizzAdams

  6. #36
    Inactive Member steven_craig's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 24th, 2001
    Posts
    337
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    as for getting to the top - i think it is very narrow minded to think there is one specific way - i would love to go to film skool, yeh, but it still wont gaurentee me a job at the end of it, it will only provide me with the foundation work.

    i really think that if we all got together we could make a fuckin excellent movie. lol ;-)

    ------------------
    Steve

  7. #37
    Senior Hostboard Member miker's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 16th, 1999
    Posts
    2,621
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    the problem is steven_craig, is that we'd all want to direct it!!

    ------------------
    N305UDB M173UBM
    (B55VOR)
    (WGO963W)

  8. #38
    Inactive Member steven_craig's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 24th, 2001
    Posts
    337
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    true - very true!!!!

    ------------------
    Steve

  9. #39
    Inactive Member Thousanth's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 27th, 2001
    Posts
    405
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I'll let you guys fight, I'll just look pretty.

    ------------------
    My hit list, third draft.
    1. Despin Entertainment 2. Kathy S. 3. Skin 4. Chance1234 5. Littlerich 6. miker 7. foolmaster 8. Mods 9. eddie 10. GrizzAdams

  10. #40
    Inactive Member Chance1234's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 4th, 2000
    Posts
    1,698
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Easy tiger,

    Generic i think we have had this argument

    before, true i havent been to film school

    myself but i have had several people frmo

    several film schools work on my film. and
    my opinion stems from there. and if you scroll

    up the page a bit youll see my other statement

    is what you do that counts.

    i think the point trying to be made is going to
    film school doesnt guarantee you away into the

    industry and doenst put you ahead of anyone else breaking the industry. its survival of the fitest out there.




    ------------------
    "Despin your Soul is Mine Pay Up!"

    www.5ylac.s5.com

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •